- Period country house
- Glorious location
- Three bathrooms
- Tennis court
- 1.44 acres part walled gardens
- Edge of Pangbourne village
- Five bedrooms
- Office suite
- Swimming pool
Walking distance to the centre of Pangbourne and train station
Reading 6 miles M4 (junc 12) 4 miles (all distances are approximate)
House 4,725 sq ft / 439 m² Gardens & Grounds 1.44 acres / 0.58 hectares
(all measurements are approximate)
A delightful period country house tucked away on the edge of Pangbourne village in a glorious sleepy location, entered from a private lane with no through traffic. Valuably unlisted, with only the garden wall being Grade II listed. The property is set amongst wonderful long established gardens, part-walled with to one side views over farm land. Concealed within the gardens is a hard tennis court and within a central courtyard an outdoor heated swimming pool.
The Garden House was originally constructed in the 1600`s and was part of the magnificent Purley Hall estate which lies adjacent. The accommodation has been increased over time primarily by converting period out buildings, creating a first class family house.
Much of the original character of the building has been retained and the property has excellent ceiling heights throughout with large windows giving lots of light.
There are footpaths easily accessible from the property from Sulham Lane with delightful walks through natural countryside.
SPECIAL FEATURES: The large flagstone reception hall with open fireplace with Bessemer beam across and exposed beams ● Drawing room with large open fire fitted with a wood burning stove, gold oak flooring, exposed beams with a vaulted ceiling and panelled door giving access to the rear and French doors onto the inner courtyard and pool area ● The large kitchen/living room area, part of which includes an orangery. The kitchen area is fully fitted with an extensive range of bespoke cupboard and drawer units, modern oil fired two oven AGA, double ceramic butlers sink, fitted dishwasher, granite work surfaces ● Underfloor heating to the ornagery area ● Walk through access to the pretty sitting room with natural polished oak flooring ● Wonderful views over adjoining farmland ● Ornamental fireplace flanked by a pair of pine china cupboards, one of which conceals a secret entrance to an inner hallway ● At the far end of this hallway there is an entrance to a large games room with windows directly overlooking the courtyard and pool and this could become a self-contained annexe if so desired ● The very useful office building, presently used by the owner from which to run his business comprises of 3 rooms, a kitchenette and cloakroom, BT infinity connected, full independent central heating and rear courtyard/seating area
SUMMARY OF ACCOMMODATION: Entrance, lobby, cloakroom/shower room, dining hall, drawing room, sitting room, games room, fully fitted kitchen with walk through access to orangery/breakfast room, 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms on 2 floors, store room
GARDENS AND GROUNDS: Swimming pool, hard tennis court, informal garden with garden store, further store room/pool plant room, detached office building with suite of 3 offices, kitchenette and cloakroom, attached single garage
Local facilities and schools: Pangbourne is a wonderful period village with buses, a mainline train station, schools and library, a wonderful selection of shops, doctors` practice, pubs and fine restaurants. Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only five minutes driving distance and Pangbourne station gives commuter access to Oxford, Reading and London Paddington, if so desired. The River Thames and the River Pang are also within walking distance. Excellent schools are to hand with Pangbourne College just up the road; Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School. Walking distance to the Pangbourne Primary School, which has foundation stage 1 and Pangbourne is within the catchment area for Theale Green School (with school bus).
DIRECTIONS: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter turn left and left at the mini roundabout. Proceed over the mini roundabout at The George Hotel and proceed out of the village, passing the Texaco garage on your right. Turn right into Sulham Lane. Proceed straight ahead for about 300 yards turn left at a sign to Home Farm, with farm buildings on your right, and the old Sulham Water Mill on the left, bear round to the right onto a gravel track, passing Home Farm on your left, at the far end turn left into The Garden House which has a large courtyard for parking.
SERVICES: Mains water, electricity, private drainage, oil fired central heating.
POST CODE: RG8 8DT
LOCAL AUTHORITY: West Berkshire Council Council Tax: Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.