- A handsome detached Victorian house with lots of potential
- Large gardens
- Many period features
- Large timber Summerhouse
- Large loft conversion
- 4 Bedrooms
- High ceilings and large sash windows
- Detached garage/hobby room and ample parking
- Established and private rear gardens
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
This is a splendid period family house, with lots of potential for extension.
Within the heart of the village, walking distance to schools, shops, amenities and train station ● Commuter train journey to London Paddington just 47 minutes ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 10 minutes' drive (all distances and timings are approximate)
2,422 sq ft / 226 m² (all measurements are approximate)
Gardens extending to 0.23 acre
A handsome detached 4 bedroom Victorian house set in large gardens and well set back from the road. Kylemore is shielded by high hedges with vehicular access to one side leading to a detached garage and car parking.
This is a fine example of Victorian architecture with its pretty black and white elevations and constructed mainly of blue and red brick typical of the period.
The property is entered from a pretty period porch with an original panelled door giving access to the spacious reception hall with a staircase climbing gracefully to the first floor with original balustrade. The flooring to the ground floor reception hall, drawing room dining room and sitting areas is all in naturally polished pine.
There are large bay windows overlooking the front from both the drawing room and the bedroom above.
The drawing room and the sitting room have pretty original open fireplaces on a stone hearth fitted with Jetmaster wood burning stove and the sitting room also has an open fireplace with Jetmaster wood burning stove.
D. H. Lawrence is understood to have once stayed at the house for some months whilst having a romantic liaison with a previous lady owner, when the house was known as Myrtle Cottage.
● Unusually for Pangbourne and a property of this period, it has a garage which is secured from the front garden by high gates, with car parking to the side of the property which can accommodate a number of cars
● French doors open out onto the gardens from both the garden room and the kitchen/breakfast room
● The rear terrace will be a favourite place with the family for summer entertaining with its Loggia and trailing grapevines and roses
● The garden room which has a balcony over with access from bedroom 1 is another pretty feature and has been primary double glazed
● There are original pine panelled doors throughout the property, including the 6 foldback panelled doors which separate the drawing room from the sitting room
● The drawing room shows the original cornicing to the ceiling and the picture rail for hanging paintings, typical of the period
● The main staircase rises gracefully from the ground floor to a half landing with window and onto the landing overlooks the hall
● There is a pull-down ladder which gives access to a large loft conversion which is used as a studio/study and this room also has a useful cloakroom with WC and basin
● Original polished quarry tiled flooring to the kitchen/breakfast room, cloakroom, garden room and balcony
● There are high ceilings throughout the property and the large sash windows give lots of natural light
● In bedroom 2 there are double French doors which are primary double-glazed giving access to a balcony with pretty views over the rear garden
● Original features continue on the first floor with panelled doors, high skirtings, picture rails, original cupboards and polished pine flooring
● There is a gate from the rear garden which gives access to a series of connecting footpaths to the fields which surround Pangbourne
● Very useful large summer house which might be used as an office or ancillary accommodation
● Gas fired combi boiler installed 2011
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, cloakroom, drawing room, sitting room, dining room, kitchen/breakfast room, large original ventilated pantry cupboard and store, garden room, 4 bedrooms to first floor, large landing, access to bedroom 4 gained through bedroom 3, first floor bathroom.
A pull-down ladder gives access to a large loft conversion/studio or office, with a number of Velux windows giving lots of light and pretty views, there is a cloakroom with WC and basin through a door in this room.
Detached garage/hobby room, large summer house, greenhouse, vehicular access to secure car parking to the side of the property for a number of cars.
Gardens and grounds: The front gardens are very pretty with hedges screening the property from the road. Further hedges and fencing give privacy to both boundaries and the rear, and there are well-maintained lawns, rose trees, shrubberies, herbaceous borders and gravel paths winding their way to the rear past a greenhouse to a large and very pretty summer house. The summer house might have a variety of uses such as auxiliary accommodation, storage, an office or for summer dining.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.23 acre.
Local Facilities: Pangbourne is a wonderful period village with a fine selection of award-winning independent shops, a supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Basildon Park is a National Trust property featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading which will soon offer fast links to the City via Crossrail, as well as buses to all local areas. Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only five minutes driving distance.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sport complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor/outdoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre. There is a 9-hole golf course at Bradfield College which is open to public membership. The large supermarkets of Waitrose and Sainsbury's and Fielders Farm Shop on the Englefield Road, the other side of Tidmarsh, are all within easy driving distance. There are also plenty of facilities for the golfing enthusiast in the area – Streatley Hills, Mapledurham and Calcot to name but a few.
Excellent schools: Located within easy reach of a number of fine schools, and within walking distance to Pangbourne College. Bradfield College and St Andrew's Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon, and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey. The highly regarded Pangbourne Primary School is within easy walking distance, and has foundation stage 1.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left and at the mini roundabout turn left again. Through the heart of the village, straight over the mini roundabout, passing Horseshoe Road on your right. A short distance along, number 38, Kylemore will be on your right-hand side.
Post Code: RG8 7JF
Services: Mains water, drainage, electricity, gas. Gas-fired central heating.
EPC Rating: E
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band F
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.