- Redevelopment/extension or refurbishment project
- 14 acres of grounds and pastureland
- Two stable blocks, ménage, indoor school
- Planning permission for two large houses on the site
- 4,313 sq ft/ 400 sq m approx
- Possible - Hobby farm / equestrian
- Numerous large outbuildings
- Option to purchase adjoining 20 acres of woodland
- Beautiful location
- Outbuildings extending to 9,690 sq ft / 900 sq m
Within the heart of approximately 14 acres of pastureland bounded by woodland. It is hard to imagine a more tranquil, beautiful or rural location, some distance from the highway and only a few minutes driving distance from the centre of Pangbourne with its excellent amenities.
Pangbourne shops & train station 3 miles ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (Junc 12) 6 miles
Gardens & Grounds extending to: 14 acres / 5 hectares (approx)
4,313 sq ft / 400 m² (all measurements are approximate)
Outbuildings extending to approximately 9,690 sq ft / 900 sq m (approx)
A 7 bedroom country house occupying one of the finest positions within the village of Upper Basildon, overlooking its own gardens and level pastureland, enjoying very pretty views to the wooded boundaries in the distance, the house was constructed by a previous owner in the 1970s.
This farmhouse has enormous potential for redevelopment, extension or refurbishment. There is also planning permission which is current, see note 1, for 2 large country houses of 4,000 square feet each.
This is an almost unique opportunity to acquire a large country house in a tranquil beautiful and rural location, yet only a few minutes` drive from excellent schools and the centre of Pangbourne with its excellent facilities, amenities and station. Fast commuter trains to London Paddington are available, and Reading is soon to have Crossrail which will link this area to the City, which is sure to have a positive effect on property prices in this area.
This house offers spacious family accommodation with high ceilings and large windows giving lots of light. A long private driveway access is owned by the property making sure it is a long distance from the Pangbourne Road.
This is an excellent family house set in an outstanding and beautiful semi-rural area, with no feeling of isolation with high quality family properties nearby; there is also hope value for the future, but absolutely no immediate hope for development other than the planning permission which is current for two new replacement dwellings on the site.
The extensive outbuildings might have a number of uses, recently used for equestrian purposes together with the 14 acres of level pastureland, but might just as well be used as a hobby farm.
There is an option to purchase a further 20 acres of woodland which runs the length of the rear boundary which has a large crop of Douglas Fir which is approximately 50 years old, and there will be an inheritance tax-free benefit to the woodland - further details available on request. Price Guide £350,000
● The gardens which surround the property and 14 acres of pastureland
● The peace and tranquillity of the location
● The spacious family accommodation
● The large drawing room, dining room and sitting room
● The attached large self-contained annexe
● The attached flat
● The spacious first floor bedroom accommodation, with large bedroom 1, family bathroom and guest ensuite shower room
● All bedrooms are double size
● The extensive car parking for both private and farm/equestrian vehicles
● Plenty of room for a tennis court or swimming pool subject to local authority planning permission
● Extensive stabling, loose boxes, large barns, one of which is used as an indoor school, office, ménage, concrete forecourt to stables and yard area
● Both the attached annexe and attached flat areas could quite simply be incorporated into the main house accommodation
Summary of accommodation:
Ground floor: entrance hall, drawing, dining room, sitting room, reception hall, kitchen/breakfast room, cloakroom with shower, utility room
First floor: 4 double bedrooms, very large family bathroom, ensuite shower room to guest bedroom
Attached annexe: 2 bedrooms, sitting room, study, bathroom, kitchen, entrance hall.
Attached flat: Living room/bedroom, kitchen, conservatory and shower room.
Outbuildings to include; 3 barns, office, 4 stable blocks,
Extensive car parking, gardens and pastureland extending to approximately 14 acres
Planning permission in hand for 2 detached 4,000 sq ft (approx.) replacement dwellings.
1. The detailed planning permission application 17/3374/FULD submitted on 5th December 2017 was approved on the 9th February 2018 and therefore the development approved shall begin before the expiration of 3 years from the date of the permission.
2. The land will be subject to an overage clause in the event permission was gained for extensive residential development on the uplift of value from present pastureland. 60/40% with 25 years duration.
3. There is a water meter situated next to the highway and at the end of the drive nearest the property there is a mains water stop cock and a mains drain sewage connection if the present septic tank drainage was not required
4. There is a long driveway access from the highway to the property which will be owned by the property and a further temporary right of way will granted by the vendor from Knappswood Close to allow heavy plant and delivery vehicles access to the site for either refurbishment of Knappswood Farmhouse or the development of the 2 new replacement swellings.
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there is a large livery yard with many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes` drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School is within walking distance, St Andrew`s Preparatory School is only a few minutes` drive, as are Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and Brockhurst & Marlston House Schools. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout, pass The Elephant Hotel, turning first right at St James the Less Church. Proceed up Pangbourne Hill until you see a sign just after the entrance to Pangbourne College to Upper Basildon. Turn right. Proceed along the Pangbourne Road past Morrisson Close and shortly along on the left hand side you will see a sign for Knappswood Farm and a long private drive – turn in here and the property will be found at the end of the drive.
Post Code: RG8 8LN
Services: Mains water, electricity, septic tank drainage, oil fired central heating.
EPC Rating: F
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band F.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.