- 5 bedrooms with annexe
- Beautiful good sized gardens
- Peaceful and secluded location
- Lots of oak joinery throughout
- Energy efficient air source heat pump
- Annexe has kitchen, shower room, sitting room, large bedroom
- In superb order throughout
- Wonderful open plan living to the ground floor
- Energy efficient/ high insulation
- Tel 0118 9842662
Pangbourne shops & train station 3 miles ● Reading 10 miles ● Newbury 12 miles ● M4 (Junction 12) 5 miles (all distances are approximate)
2,498 sq ft / 232 m²
(all measurements are approximate)
A very pretty 4 bedroom detached character house, individually designed, constructed approximately 10 years ago to high specification throughout for the present owners.
Barton has charm and character, enjoying seclusion and rural peace, with a number of high value properties both period and modern lying adjacent.
Located within one of the most sought-after villages in this part of the world, Upper Basildon has a very active and thriving family community. Set on high ground, and within walking distance to the Red Lion pub which has a restaurant, the village primary school, recreation ground, tennis courts and village hall.
This is an unusually spacious and light country house. The open plan ground floor is very attractive and gives excellent space for family accommodation. In addition, there is a splendid double garage block, with a first-class attractive annexe with ground floor kitchen, shower room, and first floor double bedroom with sitting and dining areas.
• The property is beautifully fitted and decorated throughout
• Luxurious kitchen/living room with dining area
• The kitchen is fully fitted with an extensive range of modern high and low level cream cupboard and drawer units, with granite worksurfaces, central island unit, Bosch 4 ring induction hob with glass cooker hood, pair of fitted Bosch electric ovens, Bosch dishwasher, boiling/cold filtered water tap, fitted fridge and freezer, wine cooler, limestone flagged floor
• Living room has a triple aspect, French doors flanked by picture windows give access to the side garden with a decked seating and BBQ area
• Sitting room is double aspect, with pretty views and picture windows flanking a pair of French doors giving access to a garden summer seating area. There is a very attractive fireplace, constructed of herring bone brick with a raised hearth, fitted with a wood burning stove
• Reception hall has a large cloaks cupboard in oak and a cloakroom with wide oak door
• Rustic oak polished flooring throughout the sitting room, reception hall, living room and cloakroom
• Well fitted study with desk unit, filing, bookshelves and ornament shelves, with window overlooking the gardens
• Galleried landing overlooks the kitchen/living room
• Principal bedroom has a beautifully fitted shower room and large range of fitted cupboards
• Spacious family bathroom fitted to a very high specification with a modern bathtub and separate shower
• Luxury high quality annexe with independent access. Ground floor kitchen, shower room, first floor double bedroom with sitting and dining area
• Underfloor central heating throughout the main house. The domestic hot water and heated water for the underfloor heating is provided by the very economical and state of the art Hitachi air source heat pump
Summary of accommodation:
Main house: reception hall, sitting room, study, kitchen/living room with dining area, cloakroom, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms/shower rooms, detached double garage block, log store.
Annexe: kitchen, shower room, bedroom.
Gardens: The property is surrounded by very pretty and private gardens, with raised flower beds, well-maintained lawns, shrubberies and high hedges giving seclusion. There is a summer decking area, and the gardens to side and rear gain the south westerly sun. The double garage has a pair of up and over doors. There is also a log store.
Local Facilities Upper Basildon is a much sought-after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has playing fields, a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there are many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School and St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout turning first right into Pangbourne Hill. Proceed to the top of the hill, just after the entrance to Pangbourne College on the left, turn right signposted Upper Basildon. Continue through the heart of the village passing the church, the green and past The Red Lion pub on the right. Carry on along The Aldworth Road, and take the first left into Ashampstead Road. At the cross-roads turn right, the property is immediately on the right-hand side with a 5 bar gate securing the access.
Post Code: RG8 8SU
Services: Mains electricity, water, drainage. Air Source heat pump for hot water and hot water for underfloor heating. Gigaclear is connected. Cat 6 cabling system.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) PhotogPhotographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.