- Prime village location
- Walk to shops/ station/ primary school
- Beautiful large and very secluded gardens to the rear
- Double garage
- Set on high ground away from the road
- 4 double bedrooms
- Chelsea flower show winner designed gardens
- Off road parking for several cars
- Southerly aspect rear gardens
- 3 bathrooms/ shower room
Pangbourne centre & railway station 10 minutes' walk (fast trains to London Paddington 47 minutes) ● Easy access Reading (6 miles) & Oxford by rail & road ● M4 (junc 12) 6 miles ● Heathrow 45 minutes by car (all distances approximate)
2,507 sq ft / 233 m²
Gardens extend to 0.26 acre/0.11 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
A splendid character 4 double bedroom detached village house, built some 50 years ago and having undergone since total refitting and major extension in 2003, the character and style of the property is reminiscent of the Victorian era. Wychcotes has kerb appeal, style and elegance.
Constructed of mellow red brick and knapped flint with large windows giving plenty of light throughout the whole interior. The property has wonderful and very private gardens to the rear that were designed and planted by a Chelsea flower show Gold medal winner. The spectacular rear gardens enjoy the east and southerly sunshine and the sun terrace and evening dining area enjoy the westerly sunshine.
This is a very special house in a highly sought-after village. Houses of this quality are rarely on the market, especially with such good sized and very beautiful gardens.
The property is highly energy efficient for a detached property and is a band C and has water saving technology fitted, halogen light fittings and light bulbs, and solar panels.
Note: In the warmer months when the boiler/ heating is turned off the solar panels supply the electricity for hot water and the gas and electricity bills are circa £300 per quarter (£100 per month).
Set within the heart of this sought-after riverside period village set on high ground, Wychcotes is within easy walking distance of the village pubs, a highly regarded primary school, church, River Thames and just across the bridge, Pangbourne village and train station with fast commuter links to London Paddington. Whitchurch On Thames has a thriving community spirit.
The interior of the house is both elegant and spacious with a wonderful flow of accommodation, with part glazed oak panelled French doors opening into the dining room, an oak door to the sitting room and bi-fold oak doors opening up and connecting into the conservatory. The sitting room has a pretty Victorian style fireplace presently fitted with a remote-controlled mains gas log fire, set on a polished granite hearth. (The chimney is open and functioning so an open fire could be used if desired)
• The kitchen is large and well-fitted with an extensive range of pretty high and low-level cream painted units, fitted wine racks, pull out larder unit and pot drawers. Highly polished Balmoral granite worksurfaces with 1½ bowl ceramic over mounted sink with filtered water tap and waste disposal unit. The fittings in the kitchen include dishwasher, double electric oven, waste disposal unit, central preparation island fitted with a range of cupboards and drawers with a 5 ring Neff stainless steel gas hob with stainless steel chimney cooker hood, and windows overlook the very pretty rear gardens
• The Serpentine stone floor tiling continues into a spacious breakfast area with room for a table to suit all families with windows overlooking the garden and French doors giving access to the rear gardens. The utility room has plumbing for washing machine and for tumble dryer and a gas fired boiler supplying a pressurised hot water system and central heating
• The modern highly insulated conservatory/garden room has bench seats with storage beside the French doors opening onto the rear gardens and sun terrace, a ceiling hung Singapore fan unit and light and the ceiling is partly glazed, with an attractive lead covering to control the heat in the hot weather. The conservatory has underfloor heating and UV film to all ceiling glass to aid heat reflection and furniture fading
• Wychcotes is well set back from the high street with plenty of parking
• The whole property has low energy halogen light fittings and bulbs
• The property has had a Thames water efficiency survey and some taps and showerheads were replaced with low water usage fittings
• The staircase with oak balustrade reaches from the hall to the first-floor landing which is part galleried in oak. Four bedrooms are all doubles, 3 with built in wardrobes, excellent modern family bathroom, large bedroom 1 with luxury ensuite with shower and a large guest bedroom which has triple aspect windows and an ensuite shower room
Summary of accommodation:
Reception hall, sitting room, dining room, conservatory/garden room, kitchen/breakfast room, cloakroom, utility room, four double bedrooms, family bathroom ensuite shower/bathrooms to bedrooms 1 and 2.
Gardens: The fabulous rear garden, landscaped by a Chelsea Gold medal winner, is totally secluded and very private. Featuring well-maintained level lawns, a very pretty circular sun terrace with access from the kitchen and conservatory. The herbaceous borders are well stocked with a very pretty wisteria covered loggia and a further stone terrace area for summer dining with a stone built firepit. The garden has been thoughtfully planted using Mediterranean plants, trees and shrubs which are therefore very used to surviving hot weather and periods of drought and this in turn saves on the amount of watering the garden requires.
Steps with a grand stone balustrade lead up to a high-level secret garden area with a seating area which is retained from the lawns by old brick walls. There are lots of trees and shrubs, with honeysuckle climbing the rear of the property, a very peaceful and wonderful spot. The rear flowerbeds have an automatic drip feed irrigation system and the lawn has a pop-up irrigation system.
The front garden is retained by a substantial brick wall raised high above the high street with lawns mature trees shrubs and box hedging, there is lighting to the wide driveway which gives vehicular and pedestrian access to the house and garages.
The double garage has twin up and over doors, electrically remote controlled.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.26 acre / 0.11 hectare.
Local Facilities: Wychcotes is within easy walking distance of Pangbourne village centre with its fine selection of award-winning independent shops, a supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, restaurants and riverside pubs. The River Thames runs between the villages and there are riverside meadows, part-owned by the National Trust, the Thames Path, a children's play area, tennis courts, football pitches, a bowling club and Pangbourne Adventure Dolphin centre offering canoeing and climbing instruction. Whitchurch-on-Thames also has two fine character pubs in The Greyhound and Ferryboat, both serving food. Just a few minutes' walk from the cottage is beautiful open countryside with many scenic footpaths and bridle paths.
Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a couple of miles up the road and is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Near to Beale Park is Basildon Park, the National Trust property, featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading which will benefit from the upcoming Crossrail, offering fast links to the City, as well as buses to all local areas. Waitrose can be found at both Tilehurst (approx. 4 miles) and Wallingford.
Schools: Whitchurch-on-Thames is located within easy reach of a number of independent schools; Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew's Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. The property is in the catchment area of Langtree Secondary School at Woodcote, and Whitchurch Primary School itself has an outstanding record.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn left and left again at the mini roundabout. At the next mini roundabout turn left at The George Hotel, cross over the River Thames toll bridge and enter the village of Whitchurch. Continue along the High Street, past the Greyhound Inn on your right and Wychcotes will be found a short way up on the right.
Post Code: RG8 7ET
Services: Mains water and drainage, electricity, gas, water softener, broadband. Security system. Gas boiler replaced Oct. 2015 and is under warranty until 14th October 2022 and has been serviced 28th May 2020.
EPC Rating: C
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: South Oxfordshire, Band G.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.