Guide Price £1,295,000 - Sold
Pangbourne shops & train station 3 miles ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (Junc 12) 6 miles
(All distances are approximate)
4286 sq ft / 398 m²
(All measurements are approximate)
Description: A splendid 7 bedroom Victorian house of unusually spacious proportions with high ceilings, elegant rooms and large windows giving lots of light.
The property has been improved continuously over recent years by the present owners and this is certainly a wonderful large family house, and typical to the Victorian period, a fine house in which to entertain.
● Fully fitted kitchen with golden oak planked flooring, granite worktops, double oven oil fired AGA, 4 ring ceramic Neff hob with extractor over and a pair of Neff electric ovens
● The golden oak flooring extends into the large living room which is used for family dining, featuring a pretty bay window with box seats and double French doors opening directly onto the rear gardens and terrace
● Two rooms have been created forming a square U to the living room on each side at the rear of the house; a pretty conservatory to one side and a large sitting room with vaulted ceiling to the other side, both rooms enjoy pretty views over the gardens and double door access to the terrace
● The dining room is large with a marble open fireplace and hearth, and can easily accommodate a table with 10 chairs
● The 32` drawing room is splendid with large windows all the way down one side overlooking the lane, another fine open fire with granite hearth and carved marble surround traditional to the period. One end is galleried and is presently used as a music room
● Reception hall is pretty with polished teak flooring
● There is an excellent large cellar
● All the bedrooms are doubles, including a very large bedroom 1 suite with dressing area and bathroom
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, drawing room, dining room, kitchen, utility room, living room, sitting room, conservatory, cloakroom, 7 bedrooms, 2 family bathrooms, ensuite bathroom to bedroom 1, cellar, summer house, timber garden store, off road parking.
Note. The sitting room was previously a double garage and can be easily converted back into a garage if required.
Gardens and grounds: Pretty and private gardens can be found to the rear, with a stone paved terrace with summer dining area and a further terrace to one side of the garden. There is a timber constructed garden store and summerhouse. The grounds are landscaped with well-maintained lawns and high hedges giving tremendous seclusion.
Gardens extending to 0.29 acres / 0.12 hectares.
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there is a large livery yard with many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes` drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School is within walking distance, St Andrew`s Preparatory School is only a few minutes` drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left proceed over the mini roundabout passing the front of The Elephant Hotel, turn right into Pangbourne Hill at St James the Less Church. Proceed up Pangbourne Hill and at a sign post just after the entrance to Pangbourne College directing you to Upper Basildon, turn right. Proceed along this road until you see the village green in front of you and take the right fork. Pass the village green on your left and two large modern houses on the left hand side. A short distance along you will find an old style red telephone box; Walnut House is just before this on the right.
Post Code: RG8 8LS
Services: mains water, drainage, electricity and oil for central heating.
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire. Tax Band H.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Detached Victorian village house
- Superb kitchen/living room
- Three bathrooms
- Large cellar
- Ample parking
- Seven bedrooms
- 32 ft Drawing room
- Mater bedroom suite with dressing room
- Private landscaped gardens
The Energy-Efficiency Rating is a measure of a home's overall efficiency. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.