Guide Price £795,000 - Available
2 miles from Pangbourne village centre & station ● M4 (junction 12) 7 miles ● Reading 8 miles ● Newbury 13 miles (all distances approximate)
2,875 sq ft / 267 m² Gardens & Grounds 0.43 acres / 0.17 hectares
(all measurements are approximate)
A very handsome, period house set in beautiful good sized gardens, originally part of the Basildon Estate, owned by a Major Morrison in the late 1800s. Typical of fine English architecture of the period, this Grade II listed house enjoys high ceilings and spacious rooms. Many of the original features have been retained including sash windows and large fireplaces in both reception rooms one of which is fitted with a wood-burner/multi-fuel stove.
There is mention of Major Morrison, a colourful character, and the house in local history relating to the period up to 1929 when, sometime after this, the house was divided into the two dwellings which exist today.
White Lodge is within walking distance of a convenience store. It is approximately a five-minute drive to both Pangbourne and Goring-on-Thames where there are extensive shopping facilities and mainline train stations for Oxford, Reading and London Paddington.
The gardens are large, sunny and private with a south-westerly aspect at the rear.
• Large reception hall with its original period balustrade to the wide staircase rising gracefully to the first floor
• A spacious double aspect dining/ sitting room, with bay window overlooking the drive and French doors having original shutters to front garden
• Elegant double aspect drawing room with bay window overlooking the drive and French doors leading to terrace/veranda and rear garden
• Dry cellar, well ventilated with terracotta floor tiles divided into three rooms
• Bedroom 1 is a good proportioned room with a double aspect and en-suite shower room, original shutters to sash windows and enjoying views over Thames Valley across pasture land to the lightly-wooded hills in the distance.
• Bedroom 2 is a light, spacious room with double aspect sash windows, views and over rear garden with farmland beyond
• Large family bathroom and bedroom 1 has an ensuite shower room
• Largely private gardens, part laid to lawn with a productive vegetable garden and orchard area with a variety of fruit trees
• Detached single garage, greenhouse, garden/potting shed
• Ample space for further parking/garaging (subject to planning permission)
• Electrically operated, close-boarded entrance gates to driveway
• The whole property is in excellent decorative order
Summary of accommodation: Entrance lobby, reception hall, dining room/sitting room, drawing room, kitchen, cloakroom, cellar, veranda, boiler room/utility room, 3 bedrooms, family bathroom, ensuite shower room to bedroom 1, single detached garage, garden/potting shed.
Note 1 - White Lodge has enormous potential by either rearrangement of the present accommodation or extension to the rear of the property to create another bedroom and a much larger kitchen /breakfast room subject to local authority planning permission and listed permission.
Note 2 - New fibre optic cables have been laid in, to the highway giving an ability for connection to super fast broadband if required.
Gardens and grounds: The rear garden enjoys a south-westerly aspect and has been planted with care over many years. The lawn is well-maintained and there is a pretty terraced area immediately to the rear with a veranda. There is a brick constructed garden/potting shed, greenhouse, vegetable garden, small orchard, single detached garage and room for further garaging if required (subject to planning).
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.43 acres / 0.17 hectares.
Schools & Local facilities: There are lots of local schools within easy access including Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, Upper Basildon C of E Village Primary School, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Cranford House Girls` School, Moulsford Preparatory and Senior School for boys, Downe House Girls` School and The Oratory Preparatory and Senior School.
The village hall in Upper Basildon is only a short distance by car which has all sorts of activities during the year including a regular Farmers Market and adjacent to the village hall there is a good tennis club and a green with children`s playing area.
Pangbourne has a splendid selection of specialist shops including butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, a supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pet shop, pubs and restaurants. The station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 47 minutes), Oxford and Reading. There are a number of golf courses within the area including Goring & Streatley Golf Club.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter turn right, proceed out of the village, in the direction of Streatley after passing Child Beale Wildlife Park on your right you will go through a set of traffic lights. Pass the National Trust Basildon Park entrance on your left and enter a 30 mph zone, pass the garage on the right hand side, pass a speed camera and the property will be found almost immediately on the left and can be easily identified by its new driveway and white electrically operated gates.
Post Code: RG8 9NG
Services: Mains water and drainage, electricity, oil fired central heating
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band F
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- A handsome period house
- Two bathrooms
- Many period features
- Single garage
- Three bedrooms
- Elegant reception rooms
- Gardens of approx 0.43 acres south/westerly aspect
- Ample parking