Guide Price £750,000 - New Instruction
Pangbourne 4 miles ● Theale train station 4 miles ● Reading 10 miles ● M4 (Junc. 12) 5 miles ● M4 (junc. 13) 8 miles (all distances approximate)
1,863 sq ft / 173 m² Gardens & Grounds 0.45 acres / 0.18 hectares
(all measurements are approximate)
A delightful 3 bedroom detached period cottage set on high ground in one of the most sought after villages in this part of the world. Dumbledore is one of the earliest properties to be found in this wonderful period village. Built in 1475, this property is noted as a fine example of a rendered Cruck timber frame and is Grade II * listed.
The construction of this cottage was in the ancient manner of the time, with a former open hall of 2 Cruck frame bays with a fireplace in the centre with the smoke escaping through a hole in the roof. This was of course later changed, probably in the 1700s when the first floor bedrooms were introduced.
Hardly anyone arrives in Stanford Dingley by chance and there is very little through traffic. You have to look for this village to find it, so the peaceful nature of this rural area is not disturbed. In the centre of the village and within easy walking distance of an excellent period pub The Old Boot Inn which offers excellent ales, pretty gardens and restaurant dining. There is a wonderful old church of Norman origin shaded by majestic ancient Chestnut trees. Footpaths abound through natural unspoilt countryside.
The centre of the village nestles beside the pretty chalk stream River Pang noted for its period with wild brown trout
Dumbledore is set high with large gardens surrounding on 3 sides. The cottage has received regular maintenance including the roof, new bathroom and ground floor shower room and associated plumbing.
● The outstanding plot with its vegetable garden and fruit trees
● The recent addition of a study
● On the first floor, bedrooms 1 and 2, both doubles, have a Jack & Jill entrance to the family bathroom
● There are 2 staircases giving independent access to the left hand and right hand side bedrooms
● There are open fireplaces to both the dining room and sitting room, with the sitting room having a further large open fireplace, probably originally for a cooking range
● Brick and glass constructed detached garden room
● The two garages, one on each side of the property with separate entrances
Summary of accommodation: Entrance porch, sitting room, dining room, study, kitchen, rear porch with door to large pantry and door to gardens, modern shower room, 1st floor; 3 bedrooms, modern fitted bathroom.
Gardens and grounds: Well-maintained lawns, flowerbeds, hedges giving seclusion and a wide gravelled entrance drive for vehicles and parking. Attached garden store, 2 detached garages, and garden room.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.45 acres / 0.18 hectares
Local facilities: Bradfield and Bradfield Southend have a wonderful community with a village store/Post Office, a cricket ground and a recreation ground. There is an excellent riding school, a village hall with all sorts of events and a children`s play area, tennis courts and tennis club, and a pub.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor/outdoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre. There is a 9-hole golf course at Bradfield College which is open to public membership. Bradfield College also has a famous Greek amphitheatre which hosts various ticketed performances during the course of the year. Vicar`s farm shop is a short drive with its fine butchers, delicatessen, grocery section and fishmonger.
The M4 Junction 12 at Theale is within easy driving access, as is M4 Junction 13. Reading and Newbury are equidistance and Pangbourne village is nearby with its tremendous selection of specialist shops and a train station
Schools: Nearby there is Bradfield Church of England Primary School, Bradfield College, Pangbourne College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School. Downe House, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory, and Elstree are within easy driving distance.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, proceed over the mini roundabout, passing the Elephant Hotel and turn first right at St James the Less Church into Pangbourne Hill. Proceed up Pangbourne Hill for a short distance, turning left into Bere Court Road. Proceed as far as you can go, passing over several cross roads. Eventually, you will find a T junction which is Stanford Dingley. At the T junction, turn left and you will pass the church on your left and the Bull pub. Cross the Pang River bridge and the property will be found on the right hand side, just past Casey Court.
Post Code: RG7 6JP
Services: Mains water, electricity, drainage, oil fired central heating, broadband.
Local Authority: West Berkshire
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Detached period cottage Built in 1475.
- Upstairs bathroom
- Outstanding plot of 0.45 acres
- Peaceful village location
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
- 3 Bedrooms
- Period features including open fireplaces
- Two single garages
- Set on high ground