Guide Price £565,000 - Available
Within the catchment area for The Downs School.
Only a 10 minute drive to the villages of Theale and Pangbourne, with mainline train stations that provide direct services to London Paddington ● Reading 11 miles ● Newbury 9 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 6 miles (all distances approximate)
1,223 sq ft / 114 m² (all measurements are approximate)
A very pretty semi-detached 3 bedroom 17th century cottage, with some later additions, situated in this idyllic period village directly overlooking the village green. Set in charming well-planted cottage gardens within an area of outstanding natural beauty, Ashampstead village is one of the most sought after in this part of the world, where rural peace, tranquillity and sleepy countryside is considered normal.
Within walking distance of the now famous Casey Fields farm shop with its fabulous butcher, greengrocer and delicatessen, selling all the daily essentials of milk, bread, eggs, etc.
No traffic really comes through Ashampstead unless visiting someone or something in the village. It is a wonderful location to enjoy the many footpaths and bridle paths not only round the pretty village green but also the adjacent open countryside.
● Very pretty sitting room with open fire fitted with wood burner, stripped pine flooring, and exposed beams to ceiling
● Large dining room
● Spacious fully fitted kitchen/breakfast room with extensive range of panel units, hardwood working surface, ceramic butlers sink with mixer taps, 4 ring ceramic hob, stainless steel oven and grill, extractor over, ceramic tiled flooring and door to garden
● Large family room with French doors leading onto the garden, high ceilings, stripped pine flooring
● Full replacement double glazed windows throughout
● Very pretty views to the rear over pastureland where sheep are grazing, to fields in the distance and to the front with views over the village green
● The bathroom has been refitted of recent times, as has the cloakroom on the ground floor
● Gardens to the front are planted with perennials and there is a hard standing to one side of the property for a single car
● The rear garden, approximately 85 foot in length, has a sun terrace to the immediate rear of the property for summer dining, well maintained lawn flanked on both sides by herbaceous borders with another terrace area and a vegetable garden
● There is a timber constructed garden store with a tiled roof, presently used as a potters workshop which has electricity for light and power
Summary of accommodation: Entrance lobby, cloakroom, sitting room with wood burner, dining room, family room, kitchen/breakfast room, 3 double bedrooms, bathroom, off road parking for one car and lots of parking for guests along the village green which has hard standing for this purpose, full oil fired central heating, large garden store/potters workshop.
Gardens: Very pretty cottage gardens to front and rear. Rear garden some 85ft in length, with well-maintained lawn, herbaceous borders, sun terrace and further terrace area, vegetable garden, timber garden store/potters workshop.
Local facilities: The pretty village of Ashampstead is set on high ground surrounded by countryside noted to be of outstanding rural beauty. The village farm shop is within easy walking distance of the property, boasting a first class butcher, fishmonger, green grocer, delicatessen and a coffee shop. Local pubs include the The Bell at Aldworth and the country hotel/restaurant The Royal Oak at Yattendon, along with The White Hart in Hampstead Norreys.
The village hall is the centre of an excellent community life with all sorts of monthly events; Christmas bazaar, Christmas party, monthly pub night, theatre club, food fairs, bonfire night, barn dance, concerts and the village fete on the village green. Merlin Cottage is also within easy walking distance of the village church.
Situated just 30 minutes from Newbury, 40 minutes from Reading, 15 minutes from M4 Junction 12 at Theale and approximately 10 minutes from Pangbourne. Pangbourne offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, a supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, and restaurants. The train station offers fast links to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading.
Bradfield College is only a short distance away and has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre. There is a 9-hole golf course at Bradfield College which is currently open to public membership.
Schools: There are excellent schooling facilities within the area offering both public and private, primary and secondary education to include; Compton Church of England Primary School, Yattendon Church of England Primary School, The Downs School catchment area, Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Moulsford Boys School, Cranford House, Downe House and The Oratory.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn left, pass over the mini roundabout, turn first right at St James the Less Church into Pangbourne Hill signposted to Yattendon. Continue to the top of the hill, do not bear right to Upper Basildon, but continue until you reach a T-junction with woodland in front of you. Turn right and then immediately right again signposted to Ashampstead. After approximately 2 miles a signpost will be seen on the left directing to Ashampstead village, this is on a right hand bend. Turn left. Proceed up the hill into the village centre, the village green on the left, park on the left hand side and Merlin Cottage is on the right, almost opposite the timber bench.
Post Code: RG8 8RT
Services: Mains water, electricity, drainage, oil fired central heating.
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band D
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Pretty 17th Century cottage
- Three bedrooms
- Replacement double glazed windows throughout
- 85ft rear gardens
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
- Overlooking the village green
- Refitted bathroom
- Off road parking space
- Sought after location
The Energy-Efficiency Rating is a measure of a home's overall efficiency. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.