Guide Price £1,100,000 - Available
Pangbourne village and station 2 miles ● Goring on Thames 3.5 miles ● Reading 8 miles ● M4 (junction 12) 7 miles (all distances are approximate)
2,079 sq ft / 193 m² Gardens & Grounds 0.32 acres / 0.13 hectares
(all measurements are approximate)
A delightful 4 bedroom period cottage substantially constructed of red clay brick under a clay-tiled roof in the early 1800s, set in large and very pretty beautifully landscaped gardens.
April Cottage is valuably unlisted and has undergone a tasteful and thorough restoration, refurbishment and modernisation programme in recent years. This property has been well maintained see note 1, and has retained many of the original features.
Unusual for a property of this period are the excellent ceiling heights throughout. The interior decoration has simply achieved elegance very much in keeping with the period.
Set in a sleepy semi-rural location, on high ground adjacent to fields within this area noted for its unspoilt rural beauty. There are many footpaths and bridle paths with The Sun pub within walking distance. Pangbourne and Goring villages are within easy access by car offering wonderful shopping facilities, amenities, restaurants and riverside inns.
NOTE : Should a proposed purchaser be interested in extending the existing accommodation a pre application has been made in this respect to South Oxfordshire Council for an additional 15 sq metres of additional living accomodation - the proposals made to the South Oxfordshire pre application `are likely to be acceptable`. See full pre application details for the full details or call Dudley Singleton & Daughter estate agents to discuss further.
● The large landscaped plot with very pretty gardens to both front and rear, large well maintained lawns, fruit trees and herbaceous borders
● Spectacular new bespoke kitchen/breakfast room with hardwood orangery and under floor heating
● Kitchen features an extensive range of high and low level cupboard and drawer units, wide granite work surfaces, under-mounted 1.5 bowl stainless steel sink with mixer taps, all units are oak lined, large dresser unit with glazed china cupboards, fitted stainless steel Britannia oven with 5 ring gas hob and Britannia stainless steel cooker hood, large fitted fridge, separate fitted freezer, fitted dishwasher, pretty arched window to one side, breakfast area features an island unit with cupboards and drawers under, including large pan drawers and a granite work surface
● Limestone flagstone flooring throughout the kitchen/breakfast room/orangery
● Breakfast area/orangery has a high lantern roof light over, large windows overlooking the rear garden and French doors opening onto the terrace
● A wide sun terrace of York stone has been laid right across the rear of the property enabling use as a splendid dining/BBQ area
● Fabulous bespoke carpentry units in both sitting room and play room housing TV and storage
● Bespoke solid golden oak raised and fielded panelled doors throughout
● Fine old log fire within the sitting room with raised hearth fitted with a wood burning stove and Bessemer beam over
● New family bathroom
● Bespoke wardrobes fitted to bedroom 1
● Large utility/boot room
● Plenty of car parking to side, room for the erection of a garage with side access to the rear, subject to local authority planning permission
● High fencing and mature hedges give the whole of the rear garden complete privacy
• All internal walls have been re-plastered
• New plumbing works throughout including top of the range thermos-efficient Greenstar natural gas boiler
• New electrics and master breaker board
• Roof completely overhauled; tiles replaced where necessary and ridge tiles repointed
• New guttering
• Loft boarded and thermo-insulated to latest standards
• New bespoke and gas filled replacement glazed windows to match existing windows (which were previously replaced)
• The whole property has been repointed, as were the dwarf retaining walls and paths to the front garden
Summary of accommodation: Entrance hall, dining room, sitting room, playroom, kitchen with breakfast room/orangery, utility/boot room, cloakroom 4 bedrooms, family bathroom, dressing room with ensuite bathroom to bedroom 1, pretty galleried landing, large garden shed, lots of car parking, pretty ancient summerhouse, landscaped gardens.
Gardens and grounds: April Cottage is set in a large landscaped plot with very pretty gardens to front and rear, there are large well maintained lawns, fruit trees, herbaceous borders, high fencing and mature hedges give the whole of the rear garden complete privacy.
Gardens and grounds extending to 0.32 acres / 0.13 hectares
Local facilities: April Cottage is within a short drive of Pangbourne village centre with its fine selection of award winning independent shops, a supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. The Thames has fine riverside meadows, part-owned by the National Trust, the Thames Path, a children`s play area, tennis courts, football pitches, a bowling club and Pangbourne Adventure Dolphin centre offering canoeing and climbing instruction. Whitchurch Hill has a fine pub The Sun which is within walking distance of the property.
Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a couple of miles up the road and is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Near to Beale Park is Basildon Park, the National Trust property, featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading which will benefit from the upcoming Crossrail, offering fast links to the City. Waitrose can be found at both Tilehurst (approx. 4 miles) and Wallingford.
Schools: The property is located within walking distance of The Oratory Preparatory School, and a short drive from The Oratory, Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. The property is in the catchment area of Langtree Secondary School at Woodcote, and Whitchurch Primary School itself has an outstanding record.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, left again at the mini roundabout and first left at the George Hotel. Proceed over the Whitchurch Toll Bridge, through Whitchurch village right to the top of the hill. At the top of the hill bear right passing the village green on your right. Proceed along the road, pass a church, pass Orchard Coombe on the right and turn right into Hill Bottom. April Cottage is the 5th cottage on the left hand side.
Post Code: RG8 7PU
Services: Mains water, electricity, gas and drainage
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: South Oxfordshire, Band E
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Delightful period cottage
- Spectacular bespoke kitchen/breakfast room
- Solid oak doors throughout
- Landscaped and completely private gardens of approx 0.32 acres
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
- 4 bedrooms
- Tastefully restored and modernised
- Old log fire with wood burning stove
- Ample parking room for a garage stpp
The Energy-Efficiency Rating is a measure of a home's overall efficiency. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.