Offers Invited - Available
Reading 3 miles ● Tilehurst station ½ mile (7 minutes walk) ● Pangbourne village 3 miles ● M4 (junction 12) 6 miles (all distances & timings are approximate)
2,751 sq ft / 255 m² Gardens & Grounds 0.6 acres / 0.25 hectares (all measurements are approximate)
An outstanding 5 bedroom character house constructed in 1929 and having been maintained by the present owner to a high standard over the last 47 years. The property stands in lovely old and well maintained gardens with its original tennis lawn, lily pond and terrace.
The plot extends to approximately 0.6 acres and has spacious accommodation throughout with high ceilings and large windows in keeping with an Edwardian design. There is tremendous potential by dividing part of the gardens from the house for development with access from Clevedon Road as this property sits on the corner of Clevedon Road and Elsley Road and occupies a commanding position.
If the gardens were divided the main house would still have very pretty and spacious gardens to the front and on all sides. This is one of the few remaining houses of this period and size of gardens left in Tilehurst.
● This is a very pretty peaceful location well away from a main road
● The area with potential for development is approximately 0.31 acre/0.12 ha
● Interior original features including the servant`s bell box high on the kitchen wall
● A pretty veranda to one side
● The original figured walnut surround to the open fireplace in the sitting room and another original surround to an open fireplace in the dining room
● All the bedrooms are unusually spacious and doubles
● There is a very large landing with space to one end for a further bathroom to be installed which would incorporate a large pair of built in wardrobes
● The broad staircase rising gracefully from the ground floor which then continues with a further wide staircase reaching to the second floor which has another double bedroom, cloakroom and another room that was at one time used as the maids kitchen
● The pretty views over wooded hillsides at the front and rear
● A very useful outbuilding attached to a large single garage with room for a further garage if so desired, the outbuilding is divided into 2 rooms; a garden store and the original wash house which still has a sink unit with tap
● There is a pedestrian gate from Clevedon Road, a pedestrian gate giving access from Elsley Road and also a wide vehicular access to the garages from Elsley Road
Summary of accommodation:
Large enclosed entrance lobby, large reception hall, sitting room, dining room, study/playroom, cloakroom, kitchen/breakfast room, utility room with rear lobby, 1st floor; 4 bedrooms, family bathroom, large landing area suitable for another family bathroom if required, 2nd floor; WC, kitchen and bedroom which could be accommodation for a nanny/relative if so desired.
Gardens and grounds: Large substantially brick constructed garage with an attached outbuilding comprising 2 rooms, gardens mainly laid to lawn with large shrubberies, fruit trees and high hedges giving seclusion from Elsley and Clevedon roads. Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.61 acres / 0.25 hectares
Local Facilities: 1/2 mile from Tilehurst train station, giving fast connections to London Paddington, Reading and Oxford. There is an excellent Waitrose just along the road and Pangbourne has a wonderful village centre with shops, a health centre, dentists, hairdressers, excellent restaurants and pubs.
Reading town centre is approximately 3 miles away and there is a regular bus service along the Oxford to Reading road, the M4 Junction 12 at Theale is approximately 6 miles.
Schools: There are excellent schooling facilities in the area to include; Ofsted rated Purley Primary C of E School, Denefield secondary school, Little Heath secondary school. Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House, Queen Anne`s, Moulsford Preparatory School, Reading School and Kendrick school.
Route with narrow regulated vehicle access: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left and at the mini roundabout turn left again. Proceed out of the village and pass through Purley, you will find a Peugeot garage on the left, pass the Roebuck and opposite some new terrace houses turn right with a regulated access into Elsley Road. Drive up the steep hill and you will find Saltford 9 Elsley Road on your left hand side, just after Clevedon Road. Look for the blue garage on your left, park there and enter the property form the vehicular access, the property lies just before number 17 and if you have passed the entrance with the blue garage door you will see a turning on the right to the Beeches so backtrack a little.
Route without the narrow regulated vehicle access: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left and at the mini roundabout turn left again. Proceed out of the village and pass through Purley, pass the Roebuck, some new terrace houses, pass a Peogeot garage on the left, and carry on to the roundabout, take the 3rd exit into Overdown Road, 2nd right into Carlisle Road, first left into Clevedon Road and continue to the end, Saltford is the last property on the left, turn left into Elsley Road, look for the blue garage door on your left, park there and enter the property from the vehicular access.
Post Code: RG31 6RP
Services: Mains electricity, gas, water, drainage, gas fired central heating
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: Reading Borough, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Substantial 5 double bedroom house
- 1/2 mile from Tilehurst station (7 minutes walk)
- Many original features
- Large garage
- Development opportunity for the large grounds
- Pretty and peaceful location
- 2nd floor self contained accomodation
- Gardens approx 0.6 acres
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.