Guide Price £1,150,000 - Available
3,120 sq ft / 290 m² Gardens & Grounds 0.3 acre / 0.12 hectare (approx)
A charming 4 bedroom detached period house, set in a peaceful, sleepy semi-rural location within the heart of the village. Part 17th century with some later additions, listed Grade II with good ceiling heights, Froomes House has been the subject of considerable expenditure by the present owners of recent years.
This historic building was one of the few old houses in Upper Basildon that was not owned by Lord Iliffe`s estate, Basildon Park, and was shown in the census of 1840 and the 1838 tithe map that at that time it was owned by Joseph Aubrey and his wife. He described himself as a brewer. As there are no maps earlier than 18th century, it is considered that Froomes must be at least 17th century and, in parts, may even be older. The brewing connection lasted for some time and the property used to be used as a beer house, known as The Bird in Hand. In the 1930s, John William Froomes was shown as a grocer and running the post office.
The accommodation is light, spacious and well fitted, overlooking very private, quite large gardens which have been recently landscaped. The property is substantially constructed of clay brick painted white under a clay tiled roof.
● The unusually large and light reception hall with naturally polished pine flooring
● Splendid large kitchen/living room with its large open fire with Bessemer beam across and raised hearth fitted with a wood burning stove, to one side of the fireplace there is a fitted antique pine salt cupboard
● Kitchen/living room has been refitted and reconfigured by the present owners, with a stone flagged floor which continues through the walk-through access into the dining room
● The kitchen has naturally polished oak working surfaces with under mounted porcelain sink and mixer tap connected to a BRITA water purifier, fitted Siemens dishwasher and fitted LG fridge freezer, modern 2 oven Aga, the central island breakfast bar also has a polished oak working surface and a number of pot drawers
● Kitchen/living area has a vaulted ceiling with a pretty first floor gallery overlooking the room
● Centrally positioned with access from the kitchen/living room and hall is a large family room with stone flagged flooring which continues into the laundry/utility room and into the study
● There is direct access to the rear gardens from the kitchen/living room and also through the laundry room
● Cloakroom, bathroom and ensuite shower room have all been refitted to high standards
● Excellent ventilated cellar which appears very dry, there is good ceiling height and a window giving light
● New electrically operated hardwood gates securing the front entrance
● Recent landscaping of the gardens
Summary of accommodation: Entrance hall with access hatch to cellar, large reception hall, cloakroom, large kitchen/living room, dining room, sitting room, study, family room, utility room. First floor: Galleried landing with restricted height storage room, 4 bedrooms, ensuite shower room to bedroom 1, family bathroom and full oil fired central heating.
Gardens & Grounds extending to approximately 0.3 acre / 0.12 ha with large gravelled car parking area secured at the entrance by attractive oak electrically operated gates, detached double garage, large rear terrace, wide well-maintained lawns, gardens with herbaceous borders, high hedges giving seclusion, mature oak and willow trees, large detached garden store.
Note. Planning permission has been granted for the construction of an oak framed garage with a room above.
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there is a large livery yard with many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes` drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School is within walking distance, St Andrew`s Preparatory School is only a few minutes` drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout passing the front of The Elephant Hotel, turn right into Pangbourne Hill at St James the Less Church. Proceed up Pangbourne Hill until you find a signpost directing you to the right to Upper Basildon, this is just after the entrance to Pangbourne College. Turn right and proceed into the heart of the village and veer right off the main road onto a lane running to the right hand side of the village green. The property will be found along on the right hand side.
Post Code: RG8 8LS
Services: Mains water, electricity, oil fired central heating.
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Detached period country house
- Large kitchen/ living room with vaulted ceiling
- Ventilated cellar
- Double garage
- Four bedrooms
- Refitted cloakroom bathroom and en-suite shower room
- Ample parking
- Secluded gardens