Guide Price £6,500,000 - Available
Pangbourne village centre & train station 0.8 miles ● M4 (junction 12) 4 miles ● Reading 6 miles ● Newbury 15 miles (all distances are approximate)
11,395 sq ft / 1058.6 m² Gardens & Grounds 12 acres / 4.9 hectares
(all measurements are approximate)
An exceptional modern 7 bedroom country house (9 bedrooms if required) set in approximately 12 acres of magnificent landscaped gardens and grounds designed by Acres Wild, with more recent enhancements by Pete Sims the RHS Hampton Court Flower Show gold medal winning water landscape gardener.
Oakleigh House is set on the sleepy Bere Court Road known as one of the most important residential lanes and noted for its mix of high value period and important modern country houses, within this famous Thames side village known for its outstanding natural beauty.
Oakleigh House enjoys wonderful far reaching panoramic views to the south from all major rooms as well as from the gardens and grounds. The present owners designed and constructed Oakleigh House to exacting standards and it has been their family home for approximately 25 years. Privacy, seclusion, security and a peaceful location are the outstanding features of this magnificent country house.
● The sporting facilities are exceptional with a tennis court, chipping and putting green for the golf enthusiast, heated indoor pool which is approximately 32` x 14`6` x 4`, mosaic tiled with a Roman end and steps to one end, there is a health and fitness complex with Jacuzzi, changing rooms with showers, gymnasium room and steam room. There are windows on 3 sides overlooking the gardens, also French doors giving direct access to the rear garden terrace which enjoy wonderful views
● Outstanding kitchen/living room with dining area. The kitchen was totally refitted some 5 years ago and has an extensive range of high and low level cupboard and drawer units, fitted electrical appliances are by Miele and include; an induction 4 ring hob, extractor hood over, microwave oven, steam oven, 2 dishwashers, Gaggenau American style Fridge Freezer, Gaggenau wine cooler, salad and vegetable cold drawers, further cold drawer for drinks, pantry cupboards, china cupboards, door to utility room currently used as a sewing room, working surfaces throughout the kitchen are Sile polished stone quartz with under mounted sink unit with fitted Quooker boiling water and mixer tap
● The living room area has a lantern skylight with French doors opening onto the gardens and terrace on 3 sides and has a fireplace to one side with gas log effect fire
● Fireplaces in the drawing room, the dining area and the first floor sitting room/bedroom 2 are all practical fireplaces with chimneys and all currently fitted with gas coal effect fires
● The second floor which has not been used by the present owners might be used as a large play room or by simple adjustment a further 2 bedroom suites
● 5 garages and parking for over 20 cars.
● The snooker room is half panelled in oak with green wool fabric covered walls above the panelling, splendid carved pine traditional fireplace to one end, to the side there is an oak raised and fielded panelled bar, a separate entrance to the exterior and a cloakroom (snooker table and fittings may be included by separate negotiation with the vendors)
● Games room entered from beneath the archway which gives vehicular access from the front to the rear courtyard, is a large room which could easily become a self-contained apartment if so desired, it currently has a WC
● Uniquely and valuably, the whole 12 acres belonging to Oakleigh House has been designated as garden curtilage to the property
Summary of accommodation:
Main house: Grand reception hall with graceful staircase leading to the galleried landing, cloakroom, drawing room, kitchen/dining room with living room, utility room (presently used as a sewing room), study, snooker room, pool complex with steam room, changing room with showers, gym and Jacuzzi, first floor has very flexible bedroom accommodation with 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, bedroom 5 presently used as a dressing room to master bedroom with separate door to landing and ensuite shower room, bedroom 2 is presently used as a sitting room with open fireplace and balcony, the master bedroom has 2 dressing rooms and an ensuite bathroom and a door to the balcony, first floor utility room, staircase to second floor playroom/ bedroom 6 which could be divided if so desired into 2 bedroom accommodation with cloakroom.
Garaging: Within the courtyard there are 3 double garages (5 garages in total), plaster lined with painted floors, a large double car port and a very large garden store which also contains at one end a Scorpion phase 3 KW17.6 auxiliary back up electricity generator which can supply the whole property with power in case of the very infrequent power outages, and also makes sure the security system continues to function properly. There are a further 2 garages with access from the front forecourt with fountain. Car parking for at least 20 cars
Oakleigh Cottage is a self-contained guest or staff annexe with kitchen, sitting room, double bedroom and bathroom.
Other external buildings: Large games room which might be converted to further guest/staff accommodation if so desired, gardeners office with shower room and dog washing facility, door to WC, 5 garages, large garden store, tennis court, chipping/putting green, large detached outbuilding to house tractors with yard concealed from the property and separate vehicular access from the road.
Gardens and grounds: Truly extraordinary gardens, magnificently landscaped by Acres Wild, with more recent water gardens by Pete Sims the RHS Hampton Court Flower Show gold medal winning water landscape gardener. There is a walled garden planted with rose beds, herbaceous borders, flowers for the house and a vegetable garden. A large south facing sun terrace extends across the whole width of the property with a series of steps leading down to formal gardens with lawns and flower. Further formal gardens feature a columned Wisteria pergola, lily ponds, excellent examples of topiary, well maintained lawns, the formal water garden with sunken terrace seating area, and informal water gardens with bubbling streams leading to lily ponds and a thatched summer house. The tennis courts are concealed to the west side of the formal gardens alongside extensive well-maintained lawns with the summer house and chipping/putting green.
Gardens and grounds extending to 12 acres / 4.9 hectares (approximately).
● First quality oak joinery throughout, windows fitted with Pilkington K glass
● Electric blinds to windows in kitchen/ dining room, living room, drawing room.
● The property as a whole has underfloor central heating and was upgraded in September 2016
● Full security throughout the main property and CCTV to the grounds
● Whole of the property has recently been electrically PAT tested
Local facilities: Pangbourne is a wonderful period village with a fine selection of award winning independent shops, a supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, pet shop, cheese shop, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Basildon Park is a National Trust property featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading with forthcoming Crossrail offering fast links to the City in the coming years, as well as buses to all local areas. Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only five minutes driving distance.
Excellent schools: Oakleigh House is located within easy reach of a number of fine schools. Pangbourne College is within walking distance, Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Elstree School, Downe House,Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls school in Abingdon, Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey. The highly regarded Pangbourne Primary School offers foundation stage 1.
Directions: From Dudley Singleton and Daughter`s office turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout, turn right at St James The Less Church into Pangbourne Hill, proceed along Pangbourne Hill for a short distance turning left into Bere Court Road. Proceed along Bere Court Road passing Croft Drive on the right and a large new house on the left, proceed round the bend and Oakleigh House will be will be found on the left with tall brick columns and wrought irons gates.
Post Code: RG8 8JU
Services: All mains including gas.
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band H
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent:
Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Exceptional modern country house
- 5 bathrooms
- Electric blinds to some windows and underfloor heating throughout
- Magnificent indoor swimming pool complex
- Tennis court and chipping and putting green
- 7 bedrooms (9 if required)
- Quality joinery throughout
- Landscaped gardens and grounds of 12 acres
- 5 garages and ample parking
The Energy-Efficiency Rating is a measure of a home's overall efficiency. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.